Monday, April 4, 2011

Good vs. evil


Still posting work from Freshman year (2008-2009). These two pieces were a part of an assignment where the objective was to develop a 'good' and a 'bad' character, and then create two separate scenes illustrating these elements in them. My good character isn't based on but unfortunately ended up looking a lot like me (tall blond girl), and inspiration for part of my evil character came from a comment from Bunchy, my little brother. I love to bring the artwork around the family and feed off of their casual but always direct criticism. "He looks like an evil chef!" said Bunch. "Hmmmm..." I said. And the Evil Chef was born!

Another assignment I did in conjunction with this was a collaborative one with the entire class. We formed a team and using the concept, "Crash!" as well as our good/evil characters, made individual artworks that we combined into a book. We also worked with the book layout and cover. I was involved with the concept for the cover as well as the shading/pen work and coloring of it. Unfortunately I don't have a copy anymore. Luckily, I still have my own version of "Crash!" 

Crash was done with pen and black and white colored pencil. The pen and white colored pencil, when combined, made for some gorgeous bluer tones that I wasn't expecting. Happy accident! 

Oh, please let me know which you prefer... good or evil.

1 comment: