Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Crescent moon

This piece came from a workshop that visiting local artists Margo McCafferty and Tom Rudd put on in our studio in the spring of 2010. Cresent moon, a color reduction relief print, is not my first block print ever but definitely my best! Margo and Tom were great and taught a lot about the printing process - tips and tricks and whatnot. We started with a block of linoleum and before printing each new color carved away the areas we wanted to remain the previous color, lightest to darkest. We could only use 5 colors so the planning in that area was one of my biggest challenges - but I believe my final piece is very successful.


Loon landing on a lake is one of my previous block printing efforts. It was done with a slightly different method - here I started by laying down a watercolor wash for the background color, and then printed the image from the block with a single layer of black ink over it.

One last thing... I am embarking on a year long, drawing a day journey that will begin to be uploaded very soon - either here on Power/Batt or on a sister blog (not quite sure about the details yet). I'll keep you posted! Over 'n' out.

1 comment:

  1. The Crescent moon and loon painting look great! The color is wonderful. If you have time you could drop over my painting blog. Thanks!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete