Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sorrow


Here's more work from Freshman year... Sorrow also made it into the Juried exhibition of 2009. The original assignment was to illustrate the concept "sorrow" (I know, I know, I went all out with the title!) The roses are done in colored pencil (they took forEVER) and the rest is brown, white and black charcoal pencil. The 'Copy from Master' piece (below) that I did earlier in the semester definitely helped when it came time to work with the shading and tones on the weeping girl's face.


This is my version of Leonardo Da Vinci's La Scapigliata, which seemed fairly easy to emulate. Then I got started, and the closer I looked the more I realized just how complex this deceptively simple portrait really is. I guess they don't call him a Master for nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment